Build a Yurt
Many of you out there have the desire and necessary skills to build your own Yurt. You may have all the tools, equipment and ability, but lack the knowledge of how to do it. You can spend hours or even days figuring things out and this is why we created detailed plans and instructions – so you can spend your time building and not being frustrated trying to work it all out.
Tools and Equipment Required:
- Table Saw for ripping roof poles, lattice wall and door frame.
- Chop Saw
- Router table or palm router for lattice, poles and door frame.
- Drill Press for drilling holes in the wall stats.
- Hand Tools: Sander, Hand Drill, Jigsaw, Chisels, Files etc.
- Specialized Equipment
- A steam box for bending the roof ring wood (this can be made).
- Propane burner and water container to make steam .
- A mould, around which you will bend the steamed wood.
- Industrial sewing machine to sew canvas.
The specialized equipment is only required if you intend to make the ring either by steam bending a single piece of wood or laminating it. An industrial sewing machine for thick canvas will also be required. The plans will show you how to make a basic block ring, but not how to steam bend or laminate a ring. Likewise sewing the canvas.
The Yurt is comprised of 5 basic parts: Roof Ring, Roof Poles, Wall, Door Frame and Canvas. While most of the woodwork is fairly simple (if you have the necessary tools and equipment) the roof ring and canvas are the most difficult and time consuming to create. It is for this reason we created the Basic Yurt Kit which includes the hard to make parts, but leaves plenty of work for you to do..
Buying the Roof Ring and canvas covers from us eliminates the need for building a steam box, a roof ring mold, and buying an industrial sewing machine… and learning how to use it.
For more information about building your own yurt, have a look at the Yurt Plans and Yurt Parts and if your questions are not answered there, drop me an email or give me a call.